Friday, January 8, 2010

Dana Point Pit Stop

Our engine quit two times when we left Cat Harbor due to lack of fuel.  After going through all the usual suspects, filters and lines, Craig concluded it was a venting issue from our day tank going to our upper fixed tank...  Long story short:  needed to be NOT IN A SEAWAY to diagnose and fix this one...  Ergo, Dana Point...  This is why we call it a "Shakedown" cruise.


Going back a day or two... we had a cool couple of days, our last for awhile, on Catalina.  First of all, when walking from the dink docks into town, Craig and I walked, no kidding, 15 feet passed a huge Buffalo.  Wow!  They are amazing animals and although we had both heard of them and seen them in movies, nothing compares to seeing them up close and personal.  Alas, I did not have my camera, and thankfully Dover was not with us!   But upon a subsequent journey, with Dover on leash.  I got this shot from about a 1/4 mile away.

Dover and I found a tuft of Buffalo hair which we brought back to the dink dock for Craig to get a gander at.  Dover also brought back a mouthful of Buffalo dung, and a shoulder full of dung from a gigantic Buffalo dung patty.  He then looked up at me with great pride as if to say, "THIS is what you have been grooming me for mother, isn't it?"    He continued, "I have the scent, now we will kill the giant  beast and our pack will eat off the carcass forever?!!!"   "Dover! Sit!" was my reply, and then I took this picture...

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read that you are on your way, detour and all. Vicki and I are envious and love reading your updates.
    We spent the holidays in Lakeview and were hoping to snowmobile but no snow. Spent a lot of time with our close friend, Jose.
    Has Dover mastered the poop deck yet? No buffalo in Lakeview but Sophie found the goose poop on the dock. Smells like week old dead fish, go figure.
    Looking forward to more update.
    Safe sailing.
    Randy and Vicki

    ReplyDelete